Thursday, April 19, 2007

My Week of Running... ok,12 days...

The past twelve days have been interesting without a doubt. I have had some great runs since my Marathon in Knoxville, TN, which is now well behind me. That next week-end I was able to knock +/- 7min. off of my 5k PR. That week was set aside just for my recovery from my first marathon. No driving (in the big truck) for a week after the race, I planned. Then the reality of being home started to brew. I started seeing opportunities around me that I just could not ignore. So I made the executive decision to step out of the truck and stay home. Once I ran the numbers and determined what "life on the road" was really costing me in dollars and cents as I was away from home, working really hard to eat good food (no McDonald's,etc) and get enough sleep, not to mention the level of stress that a person is under while guiding an 18 wheeler down the highway. This may sound like I am just complaining about the way of life and making a living that I had, a long while ago chosen for myself. Really, it was just killing me. The time that I really enjoyed was my running in a different town each day. In short for me it was/is just a time for a change. I want the time for my family, time to train and get involved with the running community in my area. There are SO MANY OPPORTUNITIES, POSSIBILITIES...ETC, ETC...

Anyway, My Running. The past 12 days have been awesome. Five of the days have been 7 miles plus, one six plus and a few short ones. What I have noticed is that now that I am running more in the daylight hours around here. As you may know, I have done most of my winter training at home in the wee hours of the morning 12am-3am in sub freezing temps as to not miss any time with family while at home. But anyway, I seem to really be getting stronger and faster. In the next week or two (I not exactly sure the exact date) I will be having my 1st Year Anniversary for my RuNnInG CaReEr! That's right, I'm still a newbie. Only a year ago I could not run 50 yards without thinking that "God I hope someone sees me laying here and calls the rescue squad!" (Well, that how I felt anyway). Now this morning I took a nice run in the morning sun and ran almost 6.4 miles at a 8:03 pace! That's speed goggles for this ole' wannabe runner! If I can do this anyone can! Just take the first step... REALLY!

Look, thank you for sticking with me through these changes, I know that it may not be as interesting as reading about some guy traveling the country, running in a different town each day. But I can say I'm a happier, healthyer runner for it... Thanks for stopping by and hey, If you've got a minute, check out my newest blog, http://www.dctherunner.com and let me know what you think. A little more of my "Writting" can be found there. Thoughts that sort of come to me while on my runs... Run Strong, DC

No comments: