Sunday, April 8, 2007

Short Race 5k Report:

Hi!
This past Saturday, as you may have seen, I ran in the "Lake J 5k"... The first annual, that's pretty cool in itself! Just 6 days after my first marathon. I have heard some say that is too soon and that we need more rest after a long race like that. But, I felt strong and anxious to run again. I did take a five mile run the day before the 5k just to see how I might feel and all checked out OK. Just a little pain in my right knee.

We awoke to just over an inch of snow on the ground on race morning. And unfortunately it was also 15deg F to boot with a wind chill of about 5deg F. By the time we arrived at the starting area it had warmed up to about 19deg F, with a wind chill of 15F. One word... BURRRRRRR! I have trained/ran all winter in all types of cold down to below zero, and I must honestly say, this was the first time that i REALLY got cold. At the starters call we took off. My younger brother Ryan by my side. It was a VERY fast start. As I am a newbie and this was my Bro's first ever 5k (real cool) we just hammered at it. At the 1/2 mile mark we were at a 6:05 pace and I knew that we would never make it at that. by the time we reached the .75 mark we backed off and tryed to settle in at around a 7:15 to 7:30 pace. Three runners passed us. At a mile we had ran up an decent incline on one section of trail along the 5k route that follows a cliff along the lake shore. At the top looking down I signaled to Ryan to take the slope, I decided to just see what I could do. I ran down the grade with my arms extended slightly with my elbows away from my sides and boy, that new position really helps me with my downhill pace. Down the hill to the top of the Junaluka Dam in which the walkway is all wooded. The snow was just as it was after it landed... ALL THERE. I stayed in step with another runner tracing his steps as to not get snow in my shoes (There was around three inches on the dam), Crossed and stepped out and made a pass, feeling strong. Continuing to around the two mile mark My Forerunner 101 said I had a 7:31 mile, the first being a 7:22 mile. Now you must realizes in my 11 months running this is HUGE for me. I really have never ran this fast before. Please don't think that I am "Bragging" by any means. I am just blown away by my progress and wonder what is ahead for me... A year ago I would have laughed in your face if you told me that I would be able to run 1 lap around the local track that alone a 5k at these speeds! At the 2.72 mile a woman run up to my left, smiled and boom she was gone, I mean "speed goggle" gone, she was fast! Later I would learn that she was the winning woman. She was just awesomely quick! Mile three for me was also a 7:22. I crossed the line in 15Th place with a 22:25 or so (I do not have the official time yet). This was a FULL SEVEN SECONDS off my 5k PR! I was so excited! Only problem was that upon crossing the line my right knee felt as if I hit it with a hammer! Which after some stretching and cool down felt much better. So today, Easter Sunday, I took it easy, made myself fat with ham and macaroni and cheese and just plain relaxed... As I hope you did. That you for keeping up with me and reading. Any thoughts? I'd enjoy hearing from you, DC dctherunningtrucker@yahoo.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dennis: Great to hear how well you did at the 5K!! You are a fast guy and that less than a week after the marathon. My fastest 5K time is 26:06! I hope your knee will not give you more problems.
I ran for the first time yesterday (Monday) and did a leisurely 6 miles with my friends. I'll keep reading your posts to see how you are doing. Take care, God be with you and your family! Silke