Friday, January 19, 2007

Back in NC @ 22F

Hello all, I hope these typed words find you in good health and cheer. Thanks for stopping by.

I made it safely back to NC after a bit of a layover in Jacksonville,FL (took a while to find freight out of there). Though I put at least two and a half hours to good use... I ran! It was just like I remember last spring and summer when I had just started running, HOT! I made it back to find an assorted bunch of winter weather advisories in effect... Sounded like the world was going to come to an end with several feet of snow and ice... Well, I got out and ran that first night home, it was 22F. needless to say running tights and the work were in store. The next morning, well, no ice, only a dusting of snow, it was gone in the first few minutes after the morning sun started shining... Seems to me that was the third time this season that has happened. I'm worried that I'll get tired of them crying wolf and one day... BOOM! SNOW! ;)

I do have a question for you though. Lately I have noticed that the first three miles or so have been much faster than normal. Which I believe I have posted. I run the first in the 7:30 range w/ HR around 162-170. Second in the 8:30 range sometimes followed by a brisk 30- 45 sec. walk and kick in the third (which is a series of two long hills with a short drop in the middle). Well I guess the point is, is that after this first three miles, It's like I just "ZONE" I can then just run and run and my HR steadies out at almost a constant 152. Is this normal? As an example, last night I ran a little over 10 miles, the last 7 being in that "zone" state of mind, and the only reason I came home was that it was getting late... I felt like I needed a pink bunny suit with a big drum! I'm guessing that this is just the evolution of getting stronger? Love to hear what you think out there in "BlogLand".

1 comment:

Mal James said...

My thoughts would be to next time run the exact same course but make an effort to go SLOW over those first three miles and keep an eye on your heart rate , then run the next seven as you did before and look at the results
Mal