Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Well, I DID IT! 18.9 miles!

Though I know that I am a newbie to all this running stuff, I think that I am getting that much closer to a "Runners Status". I'm laying in bed last night just cat nappin'. As I had been doing most of the day, just taking it easy. I had the 10+/- run in Asheville two days before and a very quick 4.2mi run the night before, and now I was laying in bed when... BOOM! I heard the words, Get up and take a run to Clyde (NC). A little town about 7 miles away if you take the 19/23 bypass around town. I new that it would damage the thought if I questioned these words. So I did what any runner would do. I got up, suited up, filled my water pack, grabbed a banana, cut it in half and bagged it up and grabbed a powerbar and I was off. It was the coolest thing. Just to submit with out question and do what I knew needed to be done. I ran in a counter clock wise direction around town (Waynesville) and proceeded toward the destination. I only had one question. Which would be the best route? I soon had an answer. The old highway that ran towards Asheville, which runs through the town of Clyde. At the old town square in an old turret guns/cannon from a battle ship that is a WWII memorial. That was said would be my destination. (Don't ask me, I just listened and did what the voice said). I just settled into my pace and put the distance out of my mind, and in what seemed like no time at all I was leaving my city's limits well under way. I would not be exaggerating if I said that this course is VERY hilly. I do not have the stats now but I will be taking my GPS in the car soon just to check it out. Sever great accents and equal descents, NO DOUBT. I got to my half way point, arrived at the guns and started running in circles around them while digging out my powerbar, I felt that is was easier there,than eating while actually running down the side of the highway. On my return trip I ran the south frontage road and decided to run around Lake Junaluska (World Headquarters for the United Methodists) a very beautiful place. Actually half way around as I continued towards Waynesville and then home. At around the 13-14 miles mark I was experiencing things feelings that I had never had... The strange way you begin to question yourself, the doubt, then bliss and being positive and back a forth. Really quite amazing sitting here thing about it. When you are in that zone, you truly are in a different state of mind or an "Altered State" if you will. It was such a trip. I felt that because of my willingness to listen to that little voice I was being shown how the balance can tilt either to the positive or the negative with just a single thought, almost as if I was somehow watching from a third party viewpoint. (sorry for the deepness of all this) The experience was just that profound for me. Once I made it back to the house I had ran for a total of 18.9 miles in 3:09:30 a 10:01/mile pace and burned 2418 calories. Now I know that this distance was well short of a marathon distance, but knowing how I felt at the end, I am now very confident in my bid to finish Knoxville on April 1. Have you had any experiences like this? I'd love to hear for you and hear your stories.

In the morning I will be heading to Miami,FL. Where I hope to get at least a couple good runs in down there. I will be posing via cel, with the run-cam stay tuned! Thank you for taking the time to read this crazy running truckers blog, DC

No comments: